27 January, 2006

Personal without being intimate

Yesterday, I realised that there is an aspect of blogging that can be very beneficial to relationships that are in a stalemate. This aspect is that blog entries can be personal without being too intimate, enabling the reader to share the blogger’s thoughts without feeling the necessity to respond in any way to the content matter. If the reader feels inclined to respond, fine, but it is not a prerequisite as it is with one-on-one communication.

My sister wrote that she has been experimenting with blogging and kindly sent me the address. She is not so sure where the blog is going (welcome to the club), but is enjoying the process. She apologised for the fact that her ex-,not-so-ex-, pseudo-ex- partner is still ever present in many of the blog entries.

She also apologised because she and I had no consensus about her relationship with this woman. After seven years, I am just hoping her partner will disappear from the face of my sister’s world. My sister has a much more moderate/naïve (who knows) view. Reading an email from my sister about her struggles concerning her partner is excruciating. Reading a blog entry is not. Instead, it was a liberating feeling to know how much her partner figures into her thoughts or not, … and that I don’t have to think or respond at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment