02 July, 2006

Things Have Really Gone Too Far

Just looked at David Beckham’s video announcing his resignation as captain of the English team. And, I got tears in my eyes! This is absolutely ridiculous! I don’t even know how to write the man’s name. I don’t know anything about him except what is written in women’s gossip magazines.

I know he has a very neurotic wife. That he is rather neurotic himself. And that he and his family live an existence that I find hard to wrap my mind around. So, the question is, why the tears?

It just goes to show how veryvery all encompassing this World Cup can be. Such news can even effect my daily life and my inner emotional landscape…. can you believe this? Admit it, for those of you who know me, doesn’t that sound bizarre?

Still, a week to go till the finals, and there is no stopping the present enthusiasm or addiction to the most mundane details or big news (soccer) scoops of the series.

A friend and I went on a long bicycle tour today. Fantastic weather. We actually took a train about twenty kilometres east away from here and had hoped for a lovely meandering bicycle trail around the Ratzeburger Lake. In the end, we found only a one-lane-wide road trying badly to accommodate the busy two-lane Sunday traffic and what-the-heck-are-you-bicyclists-doing-here drivers. Not so relaxing.

And, can you believe it; my friend and I managed to talk soccer for a fair fifteen minutes or so? We’ve gone walking two nights a week for the last four or five years now and we haven’t ever talked soccer in all this time. Just wanted to give you an indication about how massively ubiquitous this event is in the lives of us folk living in Germany.

Just as a note: my legs are sore, my body tired, and I feel as if I’ve run a marathon instead of coasting gently the forty kilometres. I definitely need to get into better shape… but I’ll start on that after the World Cup is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment