23 August, 2006

Sensory Wonderland



Yesterday, after work, I took the long and scenic route home through a nature reserve. The blackberries and raspberries were ripe and so I became quite distracted along the way. It was so wonderful, after sitting in front of a computer monitor all day, to awaken the senses a bit: my eyes with the fantastic scenery, my ears with bird song and the sound of the wind through the trees, and my taste buds with juicy ripe berries.

Towards the end of the trip it started to rain. I thought this was lovely; a chance to feel the drops of water on my face. I was in sensory overload. (And it was a good thing no one was around to see the silly grin on my face).

Then the skies opened up and there was such a down pore that my glasses fogged up, my hands started slipping on the rubber holders on the handlebars, and my clothes started weighing me down as if I had just jumped into the waters of a dark cold Canadian lake. Gosh, was it uncomfortable! Enough of sensory wonderland, let me get home and undressed and in the comfort of my living room.

Being a stickler for punishment, I am up this morning and dressed in some running clothes, a change of clothes in a plastic bag, and as hopeful as yesterday to go off on my adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment