25 December, 2006

Family Visit

My favourite sister-in-law (I've six and two brother-in-laws) and her family spontaneously decided to drop by today. We managed to eat our way through all the food in the refrigerator. What a lovely time it was.

All the stores are still closed tomorrow. So, I will have to bring out the ship provisions (canned goods) and try to make due.

I once provisioned an ocean crossing (Atlantic) with canned red peppers instead of tomatoes. Disaster. Three palettes of mushy red peppers and not a tomato in sight. Here we were, faced with three or four weeks of sailing, sans tomatoes. As is so often in life, once the reality sunk in, I turned to Plan B and somehow managed to shine with culinary improvisations.

As an after note, the three palettes of peppers (minus two tins) found their way to an orphanage once the boat arrived in Grenada.

No comments:

Post a Comment