09 December, 2006

Homage To The Feastive Luebeck

The city we live in, Luebeck, is one of the loveliest cities in Germany. And never is it more so than during the holiday season. This UNESCO city is old (founded around the 12th century), situated on an island, and has much culture and flair. I’ve lived here over eighteen years, and yet, rarely a day goes by without something stunningly beautiful happening or some strange, wonderful and quirky encounter makes me break out in a smile.

This morning outing into the city to get groceries presented me with three such situations. There is a storeowner down the street from us, who also plays bassoon in a classical brass orchestra. Every second of Advent, the band gathers in his living room, opens up the windows and serenade the passing pedestrians with a diverse selection of Christmas music. It is so charming to window shop or walk in and out of the small shops accompanied by their warm and golden music.

Then, as I excited the grocery shop, I came across this organ grinder playing a organ that is over two hundred years old. I fear the photo doesn’t do him justice; it is a little wiggly. After I asked him for permission to take his photo, he broke out in the most robust song for me and started to attract quite a bit of attention. Since the serenade was directed towards me, I quickly took the photo and ran.

When I went to put some money in his tin cup, he pointed regally to the stuffed perch head. I kid you not!
Just before I arrived back home the Santa motorcycle entourage passed by. I didn’t manage to get a good shot, but still wanted to show you something of what it looks like.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:42 pm

    Definitely sounds like a fun place to be this time of year..

    ReplyDelete