06 February, 2007

Even A Nobody Can Be A Somebody

Last week I wrote (here and here) about a how BlogHer is holding a wonderful contest. They want bloggers to write an acceptance speech for the Academy Awards soiree: “If you were on that stage this year, who would you thank? Or not? Play yourself as yourself or play yourself as an actual nominee, make it serious, make it funny, we don't care.”

After consulting friends and reflection on my own, while on the way to work on the bus in the morning, I’ve come up with a speech. (Thanks to C. and C. for reading and giving your opinions of the speech.)

If any of you, who are reading this post and are already BlogHer members, like the speech and would like to vote for it (oh, please), you just have to go here and vote. Please note that you have to put in your vote/comment for my speech as a “reply” to my speech/comment and not just write a comment to the posting.

If any of you, who are reading this post and are not yet BlogHer members (male and female members allowed), yet would be willing to go to all the trouble and sign up as BlogHer members to vote/comment for my speech, go here and here.

Sooooo, at long last…

Title of the speech: Even A Nobody Can Be A Somebody

Jennifer Hudson’s acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actor in the film Dreamgirls…

Thank you. Thank you. I just can’t believe this! Over the last weeks, whenever someone asked me whether I thought I’d win this Oscar, I usually answered, “Just getting nominated is winning”. That is sooo not true. This (holding up the Oscar) is winning! It’s like being struck by golden lightening bolt of pure wonder!

As many of you in the audience know, being nominated is fantastic. A nomination means so many different things. It’s a nod of recognition for risks taken. It can also be a bow from the wise and experienced members of the Academy to the young, untried, but enthusiastic. The award is a way of telling an individual they did good work, but also a way of complimenting everyone who stood before and beside them the whole time. When I was nominated for Best Supporting Actor, I knew it was for all of these reasons, but mainly the later.

There is not one member of my family who shouldn’t be up here on the stage with me right now. There is not one person involved in creating Dreamgirls who isn’t on my people-to-thank list (takes out a long piece of paper). Don’t worry, I won’t be calling my family onstage or start reading out the list; I’ll be doing all my thanking eye-to-eye and heart-to-heart. (Conspiringly) Scared you didn’t I?

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all of you sitting in the audience tonight and all of you who cast your vote year-to-year for the grandness and generosity of your spirit. The depth and breath of your work entertains and sustains people around the world. And, in the case of this (holding up Oscar), you have shown me, and many others tonight, that even a Nobody can be a Somebody. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:16 am

    Very nice speech. You aren't a nobody though. Not to me anyways..

    ReplyDelete