13 March, 2007

Glimpse Of Things To Come

I am home sick. My friend is also home sick. So, we got together over a phone call this afternoon and had one of those the-doctor-said-and-then-I-said types of conversation. Describing symptoms and possible therapies. Hysterically funny. The scene was a glimpse of things to come. That is, if my friend and I are one of the lucky ones who are given the gift of growing old.

It is such a wonderful moment, to be transported briefly into the future. Or, a bit into the past… My father used to complain about the Old Farts, his friends, who would meet for a lunch at a wonderful beachside restaurant, and then spend the time talking about sickness and death. He just hated that. Think that is why he always nurtured friendships to younger folk as well. There was only so much he wanted to know about prostates, liver functions and creaky bones. He said the point of going deaf with age, is so you don’t have to hear your bones moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment