18 March, 2007

No Time To Play

A few years ago, I read an interesting article in the New York Times about how busy our society had become. The journalist described how his five year old daughter talked to her imaginary friend on an imaginary cell phone and how they (the daughter and her imaginary friend) were forever making and breaking play dates because they were either “too busy” or “didn’t have time” to meet.

I found the article so interesting, not because it sadly exemplified a current social malaise, but because it reminded me of my younger brother’s imaginary friend, Dobby, and how the two of them used to play together day-in-and-day-out. Endlessly long days. Reflecting on the difference between the cell-phoning-date-cancelling New York imaginary friend and my brother’s ever-faithful Dobby, I was overcome with a sentimental yearning for times long gone... (more).

2 comments:

  1. When I was younger me and some old family friends all talked and played with an imaginary friend,who's name according to my parents is Dobby and this was long before any Harry Potter movie and at the time we were 2 so we weren't big fans of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was younger me and some old family friends all talked and played with an imaginary friend,who's name according to my parents is Dobby and this was long before any Harry Potter movie and at the time we were 2 so we weren't big fans of the books.

    ReplyDelete