03 August, 2007

Hairdresser vs. Therapist

It’s odd, but there is often this competitive thing going on between women when it comes to the state of their homes. When anyone asks me how we can afford to hire someone to come and clean our place, I say it is cheaper than hiring a marriage counsellor. My husband and I love each other dearly, but I am not a good housekeeper and he is not the long-suffering type. My joy cannot be described when I come home from work on Thursdays and our world is in order.
hairdresser
Today I went to my favourite hairdresser’s for an appointment. This place is an oasis. The music is chic. The décor is chic. They offer an excellent selection of magazines: from architect, to politics, to fashion, to gossip. They serve a wide selection of beverages. They do chic hair treatments, including the most delightful massages. And, even more important, they know how to cut hair beautifully.
hairdresser02
Towards the end of the appointment, I was sitting in front of the mirror watching my hairdresser adding the last touches to my cut, and it struck me that a good hairdressing appointment might be better than a therapy session. In any case, I think I get great value for my money, for I feel:

  • pampered (a fine cup of green tea)
  • relaxed (head and neck massage)
  • more enlightened (having philosophised about life with my hairdresser)
  • more informed (granted, I take a peak at the gossip and not the politics, but hey!)
  • and leave with the feeling as if a good bit of work has been accomplished and feeling more beautiful than when I walked in

Sounds like a very good deal, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

  1. Yes it does. Sadly there are aliments which can't be cured with a new haircut. But for most things it's very good. Especially if you have a marvelous hairdresser.

    ReplyDelete