19 September, 2007

Soul Candy

I’m trying not to pay heed to the grumbling from the misery monster in my belly. I spend each morning calling various government offices and institutions, or going to appointments.

Things are slowly moving along, but there are a lot of bureaucratic difficulties to be cleared before I can start applying for teaching jobs. It turns out that there is an age limit (under 39) on hiring professionals as teachers.

When the beast in my belly hears such news, it starts to roar. To avoid the beast taking over, I am consuming conspicuous amounts of soul candy. My current preferred soul candy mix is as follows:

  • Read uplifting literature
  • Watch uplifting presentations (e.g. Popcasts, TED Talks)
  • Visit museums or churches
  • Go for long walks
  • Snack on quotes and sayings

This mornings favourite two sayings are as follows:

Only dead fish swim with the current.”

And,

Men in women professions, are usually gay. Women in men professions, are pioneers.

(Told to me, an engineer, by my beloved husband, a translator (i.e., working in a woman’s profession).)

A generous portion of soul candy does much to quieten that misery beast in my belly.

2 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo! You are SO a pioneer, you ballet-dancing engineering creative soul who's going to become a teacher. Your students will be lucky to be taught by you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will find a way. I'm sure of that.

    ReplyDelete