16 January, 2008

Ideas That Vanish Later In The Day

As I was standing under the shower this morning, two brilliant new ideas came to mind to discuss in this post. Actually, at one point, the ideas carried on a conversation about who merits most to be presented in today’s post. As far as I remember, it was a lively discourse.

Unfortunately, for the life of me, I can’t remember any more what the two topics were. It’s only been three hours since that lively discourse. This incident wouldn’t be so worrisome if it wasn’t for the fact that this has been happening unsettlingly more and more often.

Part of me says, it is…

  • The lack of light during this dark time of year
  • Stress related, due to returning back to work
  • Hormonally related, due to menopause
  • Just being perpetually scatter-brained
  • That darn genetic predilection passed on by my father

My current bout of forgetfulness stems, in all likelihood, from any one, or a combination, of these reasons. The fact is though, this morning’s situation does make me wonder about how my brainpower is diminishing. I'm more worried about this than I was five years ago. Heck, I'm more worried about it than I was five months ago.

It makes me wonder whether the recent wave of brain exercising tools coming out on the market are a cure for such difficulties, or they primarily exist just to still our fears.

We know so little about our brain and how itworks. Thank heavens there are people like Jeff Hawkins out there exploring this problem.

6 comments:

  1. You replaced your forgotten ideas with a lot of other ideas about why this might be happening, so it seems like your brain is working just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, for years now I have been blaming my new forgetfulness and diminishing brainpower on lack of sleep and hormones, and now I'm afraid that if I ever sleep enough again I will find out that it is permanent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precisely why I purchased a hand held voice recorder. I carry it with me everywhere. I love it because I can't write as fast as I think and this way the thoughts are captured at the same time I'm thinking them. However, the shower does pose a small problem :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:26 am

    don't worry about it. The ideas will come back to you. Jot them down when they do.

    And if you are truly becoming more forgetful (as opposed to just stressing about it more) then you will be in good company. We will all go down in fogetful oblivion together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:27 am

    and what do you think of my idea for a red tent post?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:28 am

    I mean over at epossums about desire...

    ReplyDelete