25 January, 2008

When I was 25 … (Part 1)

Recently, Ronni at Time Goes By answered a meme that instructs participants to list five things in life they never thought – at age 25 - they would become.

I thought I would write five posts about personal things, as well as, social trends I didn’t know would happen 25 years ago. I was 25 years old then and just graduating as an electrical engineer.

This is the first thing I didn’t know back then:

Age of retirement:


My grandfather went into retirement in his early 50’s. He was a senior engineer at a large telecommunication corporation in Montreal. He retired in order to give the returning WWII veterans a chance of employment.

My father also retired in his early 50’s. Fulfilling a life long dream of working hard, taking risks, accepting responsibilities and getting rich. He died in his early 70’s, having enjoyed retirement for almost as long a period, as he did his working career.

I believe that my generation is going to be the first generation since the end of WWII, who will not have the privilege or luxury to enjoy full retirement. I know longer share the same dream as my father. Instead, my dream or ambition is to enjoy partial retirement for the rest of my, the gods willing, long life.

No comments:

Post a Comment