08 February, 2008

Larger Than Life

A while ago, I was watching this interview with Hugh Laurie, the actor, who plays Dr. House*:



When Mr. Laurie talks of how he revered his father, my heart pumps faster. My face flushes. My eyes tear.

Revere to “feel deep respect or admiration”.

What an outdated concept. Imagine living a life of such magnificence, honour, adventure, courage, humility, beauty, or honesty… that you grown child revere you? And yet, there were many of these larger than life figures in that generation. My father was one of them.

Today is the 8th anniversary of my father, David’s, death. A day to reflect upon his life, express gratitude for all the love and affection he showered upon his children and grandchildren, reminisce about his outlandish ways, and feel veryvery sad. I feel particularly sad that despite him being larger than life, he couldn’t live forever.


* Never seen the Dr. House show, but have enjoyed seeing Hugh Laurie and Stephan Fry in various bits and pieces.

2 comments:

  1. I love Hugh Laurie.

    It sounds like your father was an amazing man, and it must be so hard not to have him around anymore. But it is good that you can honor and cherish his memory the way you do.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As yogamum said your father seems to have been an extraordinary man. I can't imagine to revere my parents. Seems like a good thing to me.

    ReplyDelete