26 February, 2008

Quiet Evenings

A few weeks ago, my family (actually the kids) decided that we should give Internet-free evenings a try. Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays are those evenings. This might not sound like much to most people, but in our family, since we hooked up to DSL, it’s a big decision.

We are still hugging down into the situation. There has been more talking going on. We also manage to agree more easily what DVD movies we want to watch together. And, there is an ease to the evenings, which isn’t there the rest of the week; when everyone is anxious to get back to doing what they’re doing on the computer.

What I have noticed, is I am back to reading books more now, even on the other days when I am using Internet. I go to bed earlier on these evenings. Yet, I still find it difficult to work up the urge to cook on the days I work late; I had hoped this would be change.

We said we would give ourselves two months and then decide if we will continue. I wonder how the others will vote on the matter.

It is a shame my children are teenagers and such decisions are now made democratically. Gone are the days when my husband and I could argue about such matters and I would always win.

4 comments:

  1. Lilialia, I am deciding what times I will be making internet-free in our home... I have lots of books that I want to read and more things I want to be doing with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the internet-free evening is a wonderful idea. I don't tend to go online in the evenings, nor do the kids, but the husband is another story... Personally I want to throw away the TV as well but no one will let me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A home where momma doesn't always win?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have made virtually all evenings internet-free (but then we can surf the net in the mornings all we want). We like it that way. Also I don't tend to stay up that long without my computer.

    ReplyDelete