16 March, 2008

Preparation: Painting The Spaces Between

tim02
Sometimes preparing for a trip means preparing to leave your home behind and not just preparing for that to come. Granted, time is running along quickly towards our departure date and it might be a good idea to start packing. Even though we haven’t done very much concrete in the way of packing, we have done a few peripheral tasks: my dear husband bought us toiletries and I bought some marzipan to give to friends as gifts. OK, not a heck-of-a-lot, but it is a start. We’ll have to go from zero to eighty as of tomorrow evening.

Yet, I did spend a few hours today sorting through the mountains of paperwork that has clogged up my mind, depleted my energy, and made me feel like such an idjit these last months. I now have the sense that I can go off on the trip with a lightness of being that wouldn’t have been possible before today.

It is like that painting technique of painting the spaces between the objects and not the objects themselves. I’ve painted in the space between now and boarding the plane with a light golden background of paper order.

1 comment:

  1. I know you'll be prepared, and even if you do forget something (anything), I'm pretty sure they sell stuff in New York ;-)

    I can relate to how draining a pile of paper can be ... this is tax time and college financial aid time here. I'm avoiding both ...

    And don't even mention marzipan unless you are going to bring enough for everyone ... my mom is German, so I come by the craving honestly.

    I love the collage. It seems to go with your recent nautical motif, which I have been enjoying.

    Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete