05 June, 2008

Dawn Points

summertime 
Dawn points, and another day
Prepares for heat and silence. 
Out at sea the dawn wind Wrinkles and slides.
 I am here Or there, or elsewhere. In my beginning. 
East Coker, by T.S. Elliot 

 Many years ago, as a young adult, I became enamored by T.S. Elliot’s reading of his work, Four Quartets. I would listen to his reading of East Coker especially often: all the while following the ebb and flow of his voice with the written words. My uncle, Peter, who stayed with me for a weekend at that time, wondered what drew me to these poems. We went out to dinner one night and talked about the meaning of words, their power, and how Mr. Elliot’s voice haunted my days. I’ve just heard from my sister how my uncle-dear is struggling in this life, and I wish him a dawn wind out at sea. This is what he wishes. He has shown me, how we are all beginners when it comes to dying and that this is good so, since death truly is a beginning.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:37 pm

    Powerful post. Beautiful words--I mean yours, not Elliot's. Lovely collage, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of Elliots words haunted my mad years. They seem to reach beyond time to find homes. So sorry about your uncle, but glad he knows where to go.

    ReplyDelete