16 October, 2010

Travels though my Imagination

suitcase on a beach

A dear friend and I skyped this morning (New Zealand/Germany), while the rest of my household slept. We recounted travels of past: when we were young and not so innocent, but often alone and lonely. Feeling cut off from family and friends. Those were the days when long distance calls were made only every few months, or for emergencies. Letters would take a few weeks to arrive, if not more. When you left home, you were gone.

I've spent the rest of the day remembering past travels and imagining new ones. The edges of past disasters are softened, as are potential future risks or complications. Imagination is such a great place to travel in.

7 comments:

  1. Imagination is such a great place to travel in. Yes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:30 am

    What a gorgeous collage! Sums up the joy and risk of travel. Love that last line about imagination...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I'm packing my passports now for a trip deep into Mexico waters....hopefully I don't get shot. There were worries....will I collapse again sort of thing, but I just have to go do it. Now the excitement. Can I get into my favorite good dress. I have two months. :) Can you get your husband to travel in Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, if your trip has anything to do with a boat and warm breezes and salt air, it will be a restorative as well as interesting trip.

    My husband does not travel at the moment, but the children and I do as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love to travel and wish I could do more of it. I envy you that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. RYN: A Chapbook is a small book usually stapled or sometimes tied, of poems or several short stories. Normally only 40 pages, mine was that number and published earlier this year. I couldn't enter individual poems in any contests as I had published them in my blog, but I could enter a chapbook. 40 poems, cover letter, and short bio went off yesterday. A Very exciting thing for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Imagination - yes it seems it just happens at the most unexpected times.
    Sometimes wonderful and sometimes sad.

    ReplyDelete