07 February, 2011

Tom and Jerry

I had the pleasure of helping a friend out; babysitting for her six-year-old son, who was sick with flu and fever. The pleasure wasn't in the fact the poor mite was sick, but because we watched a whole series of Tom and Jerry cartoons together. I don't know when the last time it was that I watched them, perhaps even since I was a child.

Tom&Jerry

I really enjoyed myself, but was struck by how brutal they are, as well as repetative. The storyline is the same every time: Tom squashes Jerry, Jerry squashes Tom back. I remember there being more, but there are just different settings to act out the same scenario. Which is probably why it was so much fun to watch when I was young.

Have you ever revisited a movie or television series out of your childhood, only to be surprised with a change in your reaction?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, I've watched a lot of old cartoons and some movies with our granddaughters and had the same reaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous5:21 am

    Yes - Tom and Jerry! The kids love this cartoon but I'm always reluctant to let them watch it as it seems so violent. As my kids say, "It's not real mama."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or book. Reread a childhood favorite book. It was a far different world.

    ReplyDelete